MD/PhD Candidate (Bioengineering), BS Applied Physics
University of Pennsylvania
MD-PhD candidate at the University of Pennsylvania and Caltech physics graduate. Researcher at Microsoft developing deep learning methods for MRI image reconstruction. Interested in leveraging technology, research, and medicine to advance patient care at scale.
MD-PhD Bioengineering (University of Pennsylvania) HHMI-NIH Scholar
BS Applied Physics, Class Rank: 3/233, GPA: 4.2 (Caltech) Housner Prize Winner
PhD Research Intern, Advised by Michael Hansen, Microsoft Research
- Developing an end-to-end variational network to better reconstruct accelerated MRI acquisition data and learn optimal k-space sampling patterns
Software Engineering Intern, MRI Sequence Development Team, Hyperfine
- Optimized k-space filter to better correct correct for spike noise in Python
- Implemented and improved on an adaptive coil combination algorithm to remove phase discontinuities in MRI imaging, improving image quality for >95% of test images from clinical sites
Undergraduate Research Fellow, Mikhail Shapiro Laboratory, Caltech
- Engineered probiotic bacteria and CAR T-Cells to be thermally activated using ultrasound to spatially localize cancer immunotherapy
- Manipulated cellular water diffusivity to act as a sensor for hypoxia in MRI imaging
Publications and Talks
- Abedi MH†, Yao M†, Mittelstein DR, Bar-Zion A, Swift M, Lee-Gosselin A, Barturen-Larrea P, Buss MT, Shapiro MG. (2022). Ultrasound-Controllable Engineered Bacteria for Cancer Immunotherapy. Nature Communications
- Suzuki S, Chosa K, Barilla C, Yao M, Zuffardi O, ..., Gruenert DC. (2022). Seamless Gene Correction in Human CF Transmembrane Conductance Regulator Locus by Vector Replacement and Vector Insertion Events. Frontiers in Genome Editing
- Yao M†, Abedi MH†, Mittelstein DR, Bar-Zion A, Shapiro MG. (2021). Thermal Bioswitches for Localized Activation of Microbes. AIChE International Conference on Biomolecular Engineering. Poster presentation.
- Yao M†, Abedi MH†, Mittelstein DR, Bar-Zion A, Shapiro MG. (2020). Thermal Bioswitches for Localized Activation of Microbes. Biomedical Engineering Society Annual Meeting. Oral presentation.
- Yao M, Uhr L, Daghlian G, Amrute JM, Deshpande R, Mathews B, Patel SA, Henri R, Liu G, Reierson K, Johnson G. (2020). Demonstration of a Longitudinal Medical Education Model (LMEM) to Teach Point-of-Care Ultrasound in Resource-Limited Settings. POCUS Journal
- Maw AM, Galvin B, Henri R, Yao M, Exame B, Fleshner M, Fort MP, Morris MA. (2019). Stakeholder Perceptions of Point-of-Care Ultrasound Implementation in Resource-Limited Settings. Diagnostics
- A browser-based electronic health record system built for low-resource and student-run clinical practices.
- Online tool that parses through historical medical school applicant data on community forums to help current and future applicants better understand the application process.
import numpy as np
import pytorch_lightning as pl
yearsOfExperience = ;
% Medical Image Analysis
imgRegistration = true;
imgSegmentation = true;
self.server_side_choice = 'Flask'
self.language_of_choice = True
mysql> UPDATE personal.skills SET
−> hashing_algorithms = 1,
−> rsa_encryption = 1,
−> systems_design = 1
−> WHERE user = 'Michael Yao'
var yearsOfExperience = ;
var libraries = [ 'jQuery',
Miscellaneous Lanuages and Tools
Mathematica, R, C, C++, Java, bash, git
- Head TA, ACM95a: Complex Analysis and ODEs (Caltech)
- TA, Ph106a: Graduate-Level Mechanics and Special Relativity (Caltech)
- TA, ACM95b: PDEs (Caltech)
- TA, Ph12b: Quantum Mechanics (Caltech)
- TA, Ph12a: Waves and ODEs (Caltech)
- TA, Ph1c: Freshman E&M (Caltech)
- TA, Ph1b: Freshman E&M and Special Relativity (Caltech)
- Full-Stack Developer, MD Collective
- Mentor, University of Pennsylvania Step-Ahead Mentorship Program
- President, Caltech Medlife Club
- Editor-in-Chief, Caltech Undergraduate Research Journal
- Volunteer Tutor, Caltech RISE Tutoring Program
- Deans' Tutor, Caltech
- Student Body Curriculum Representative, Caltech Academics and Research Committee
- Student Ambassador, Caltech Summer Undergraduate Research Program