MD/PhD Candidate (Bioengineering), BS Applied Physics
University of Pennsylvania
Current MD-PhD candidate at the University of Pennsylvania and 2021 Caltech physics graduate. Interested in using software engineering and innovative research to solve complex and meaningful real-world problems.
HHMI-NIH Scholar (University of Pennsylvania): accelerated MD-PhD program
Class Rank: 3/233; In-Major Rank: 1/3 (Caltech)
2021 Caltech Housner Prize Winner
Cumulative GPA: 4.20; Major GPA: 4.20 (Caltech)
Software Engineering Intern, MRI Sequence Development Team, Hyperfine
- Optimized k-space filter to better correct correct for spike noise in Python
- Implemented and improved on an adaptive coil combination algorithm to remove phase discontinuities in MRI imaging, improving image quality for 95% of test images from clinical sites
Undergraduate Research Fellow, Mikhail Shapiro Laboratory, Caltech
- Programmed Java and Python applications to analyze DNA for potential sites of homology-based recombination, speeding up research pipelines by up to 15%
- Engineered probiotic bacteria and CAR T-Cells to be thermally activated using ultrasound to spatially localize cancer immunotherapy (patent pending)
- Manipulated cellular water diffusivity to act as a sensor for hypoxia in MRI imaging
CTO/Founder, Sentinel Cloud
- Rethinking medical records with a user-friendly, secure, and cloud-based EHR designed to simplify healthcare for physicians and their patients
- Built on Flask stack and Google Cloud Platform
- Backed by Wharton's Venture Initiation Program and the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- Simple Beautiful Soup webscraper that parses through available historical data for medical school admissions to help current and future applicants better understand the application process timeline.
self.server_side_choice = 'Flask'
self.language_of_choice = True
self.editor_of_choice = 'vim'
mysql> UPDATE personal.skills SET
−> hashing_algorithms = 1,
−> rsa_encryption = 1,
−> systems_design = 1
−> WHERE user = 'Michael Yao'
var yearsOfExperience = ;
var libraries = [ 'jQuery',
import numpy as np
import nibabel as nib
yearsOfExperience = ;
% Medical Image Analysis
imgRegistration = true;
imgSegmentation = true;
Miscellaneous Lanuages and Tools
Mathematica, R, C, C++, Java, bash, git
- Head TA, ACM95a: Complex Analysis and ODEs (Caltech)
- TA, Ph106a: Graduate-Level Mechanics and Special Relativity (Caltech)
- TA, ACM95b: PDEs (Caltech)
- TA, Ph12b: Quantum Mechanics (Caltech)
- TA, Ph12a: Waves and ODEs (Caltech)
- TA, Ph1c: Freshman E&M (Caltech)
- TA, Ph1b: Freshman E&M and Special Relativity (Caltech)
Publications and Talks
- Abedi MH†, Yao M†, Mittelstein DR, Bar-Zion A, Swift M, Lee-Gosselin A, Shapiro MG. (2021). Acoustic Remote Control of Bacterial Immunotherapy. Preprint
- Yao M†, Abedi MH†, Mittelstein DR, Bar-Zion A, Shapiro MG. (2021). Thermal Bioswitches for Localized Activation of Microbes. AIChE International Conference on Biomolecular Engineering. Poster presentation.
- Yao M†, Abedi MH†, Mittelstein DR, Bar-Zion A, Shapiro MG. (2020). Thermal Bioswitches for Localized Activation of Microbes. Biomedical Engineering Society Annual Meeting. Oral presentation.
- Yao M, Uhr L, Daghlian G, Amrute JM, Deshpande R, Mathews B, Patel SA, Henri R, Liu G, Reierson K, Johnson G. (2020). Demonstration of a Longitudinal Medical Education Model (LMEM) to Teach Point-of-Care Ultrasound in Resource-Limited Settings. POCUS Journal
- Maw AM, Galvin B, Henri R, Yao M, Exame B, Fleshner M, Fort MP, Morris MA. (2019). Stakeholder Perceptions of Point-of-Care Ultrasound Implementation in Resource-Limited Settings. Diagnostics
- Full-Stack Developer, Northstar MD
- Mentor, University of Pennsylvania Step-Ahead Mentorship Program
- President, Caltech Medlife Club
- Editor-in-Chief, Caltech Undergraduate Research Journal
- Volunteer Tutor, Caltech RISE Tutoring Program
- Deans' Tutor, Caltech
- Student Body Curriculum Representative, Caltech Academics and Research Committee
- Student Ambassador, Caltech Summer Undergraduate Research Program